2017年10月8日 星期日

New Friends (來自波斯的新朋友)

#2017-1008

I referred to the English Wikipedia by typing the word "Persia" (波斯) as a search key, and what popped up on my computer screen was this:

Iran (Persian: ایران‎‎ Irān [ʔiːˈɾɒːn]), also known as Persia[10] (/ˈpɜːrʒə/),[11] officially the Islamic Republic of Iran (Persian: جمهوری اسلامی ایران‎‎ Jomhuri-ye Eslāmi-ye Irān (About this sound listen)),[12] is a sovereign state in Western Asia.[13][14] ....

Oh, it was a long page for me to read. The entry word was "Iran" (伊朗) instead of "Persia." But when I searched a little further, I found more information as follows:

Persia (disambiguation)

Persia, or Iran, is a country in Western Asia.

Persia may also refer to:
  • Persia (name), Greek and Latin name for Iran, also known as Greater Iran
  • Persia (EP), a 1984 EP by The Church
  • RMS Persia, a steamship built in 1856
  • SS Persia, various steamships by this name
  • Persia, the Magic Fairy, a 1984 magical girl anime series by Studio Pierrot
Places
  • Persian Empire, an empire in Western and Central Asia, founded in the 6th century BC
  • Fars Province, a province in Iran, also known as Pārs, which means "Persia" in the Persian language
  • Persian Gulf (Shākhāb-e Pārs), an extension of the Indian Ocean between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula
  • Greater Iran
  • Persia, Iowa, a US city
  • Persia, New York, a US town
Anyway, there is much more for me to learn about such topics as Persia, Persian Empire, Iran, Greater Iran, and so on. I don't think I can "cover" all these things in a short period of time, but I'd like to "discover" something about these topics in the future -- yes, something new and interesting to me! ...

You know why I'm now interested in the subjects "Iran" and "Persia"? It's because Amir and Zary and their 7-month-old son (Ryan) came to St. James' this morning. Amir and Zary are from Iran. They and their son (so cute a little boy!) are our new friends. -- Well, the name "Amir" means "lord" or "prince"; the name "Zary" means "gold" or "light." And our new friends today are handsome and beautiful, just as their names indicate!

(middle and right) Amir and Zary; 
(the little boy) Ryan





沒有留言: