2013年5月5日 星期日

Sari (or Saree) -- 紗麗怎麼穿?

#2013-0505

It's one of the most interesting Sundays: After the English service at St. James', we all as a congregation were invited to Harrison, Nancy, Kelvin, and Allen Paul's home for a special time of food and fellowship together. We had a wonderful time there, eating and chatting and, to my surprise, seeing how a sari (or saree) is put on -- how to wear a sari!

I had learned little about "sari" -- this word is translated into Chinese as 紗麗. In my favorite dictionary, Collins COBUILD English Dictionary, the word sari is better defined: "A sari is a piece of clothing worn especially by Indian women. It consists of a long piece of thin material that is wrapped around the body." However, I did not know how a woman puts on a sari, such a long piece of cloth, until I saw Nancy giving a "demonstration" today, with two ladies (Jooyuan and Cuiling) acting impromptu as "fashion models."

In order to learn more about sari, I immediately got online to search for the topic when I returned home. I spent quite a few minutes surfing the Internet: I read from such websites as English Wikipedia and 金色淡水知音坊(新版部落格) and then I enjoyed seeing a couple of YouTube films that teach how to drape an Indian sari. Well, as Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) said, "The more we study, the more we discover our ignorance."














沒有留言: