2016年6月22日 星期三

武界:My First Visit to Vogai

#2016-0622

Vogai, or called "Wujie" in Mandarin, is still a new place for me, so beautiful, quite interesting, and a little mysterious!

Invited by Jean, I joined her and her Four-Degrees-C friends in the one-day trip to Wujie (武界) today. When they told me Wujie is a good and special place to visit, I said, "I know. I've heard of it before. I am so happy to have an opportunity to go with you and see it today!" Then I followed them there. I didn't know that I had mistakenly regarded the name of the place as Wu Jie (meaning 五界 "Five Boundaries" or the like); in fact, only when I got near to the destination and saw the road sign did I realize that it should be Wujie (武界), not Wu Jie (五界).

Wujie, or "Vogai" in the Bunun language, is located in Ren'ai Township, Nantou County, Taiwan; it's 720-740 meters above sea level, not too far from the source of the Zhuoshui River (濁水溪). According to the survey in 1988, there were about 100 households, 800-1000 persons, of the Bunun tribe living in Bogai (now spelled Vogai). What could Vogai (or Bogai) have meant? Two possibilities have been said: (1) It used to be a place, or an area, where the Bunun fought against the Atayal for the hunting grounds; (2) in the Bunun language, "Bogai/Vogai" means "to come/go over something," for example, to climb over a mountain, or to go beyond or get across a boundary. The origin of the name is still a mystery, isn't it?


上、下圖:濁水溪流過「武界」那裏的沖積平原,
西岸(圖左)人口集中明顯多過於東岸(圖右)而形成
聚落:以濁水溪為界,東岸為圓山部落,西岸為界山部落。


































沒有留言: