2017年10月8日 星期日

New Friends (來自波斯的新朋友)

#2017-1008

I referred to the English Wikipedia by typing the word "Persia" (波斯) as a search key, and what popped up on my computer screen was this:

Iran (Persian: ایران‎‎ Irān [ʔiːˈɾɒːn]), also known as Persia[10] (/ˈpɜːrʒə/),[11] officially the Islamic Republic of Iran (Persian: جمهوری اسلامی ایران‎‎ Jomhuri-ye Eslāmi-ye Irān (About this sound listen)),[12] is a sovereign state in Western Asia.[13][14] ....

Oh, it was a long page for me to read. The entry word was "Iran" (伊朗) instead of "Persia." But when I searched a little further, I found more information as follows:

Persia (disambiguation)

Persia, or Iran, is a country in Western Asia.

Persia may also refer to:
  • Persia (name), Greek and Latin name for Iran, also known as Greater Iran
  • Persia (EP), a 1984 EP by The Church
  • RMS Persia, a steamship built in 1856
  • SS Persia, various steamships by this name
  • Persia, the Magic Fairy, a 1984 magical girl anime series by Studio Pierrot
Places
  • Persian Empire, an empire in Western and Central Asia, founded in the 6th century BC
  • Fars Province, a province in Iran, also known as Pārs, which means "Persia" in the Persian language
  • Persian Gulf (Shākhāb-e Pārs), an extension of the Indian Ocean between Iran and the Arabian Peninsula
  • Greater Iran
  • Persia, Iowa, a US city
  • Persia, New York, a US town
Anyway, there is much more for me to learn about such topics as Persia, Persian Empire, Iran, Greater Iran, and so on. I don't think I can "cover" all these things in a short period of time, but I'd like to "discover" something about these topics in the future -- yes, something new and interesting to me! ...

You know why I'm now interested in the subjects "Iran" and "Persia"? It's because Amir and Zary and their 7-month-old son (Ryan) came to St. James' this morning. Amir and Zary are from Iran. They and their son (so cute a little boy!) are our new friends. -- Well, the name "Amir" means "lord" or "prince"; the name "Zary" means "gold" or "light." And our new friends today are handsome and beautiful, just as their names indicate!

(middle and right) Amir and Zary
(the little boy) Ryan





沒有留言: