2018年11月1日 星期四

Blackwood, Bluewood, or Bloodwood (墨水樹)

#2018-1101

In Chinese it is called 墨水樹 (moshui shu, ink tree) or 黑水樹 (hei shui shu, black water tree) or 采木 or 洋森木 or 洋蘇木 or 蘇方木. You may see the penultimate photo below for a brief description in Chinese, if you like.

And, in English, it is called "blackwood" or "bloodwood" or "bluewood" or "campeachy tree" or "campeachy wood" or "campeche logwood" or "campeche wood" or "Jamaica wood" or "logwood" or "logwood tree." Obviously, the tree that I was attracted to this afternoon has too many names for me to remember!

According to The English Wikipedia, the tree's scientific name, Haematoxylum campechianum, means "bloodwood" (haima being Greek for blood and xylon for wood). How can I remember its scientific name? It's impossible for me even to say its Latin name correctly! -- Well, I don't care. I don't really care about its name!

"Which of its English names is more popular with English native speakers?" This is not a real question to ask. It makes no difference at all what it is called in English or in Chinese, even though I can call it "ink tree" for the time being. The one thing that is really important for me is this: The tree that was blown down by the wind is still alive, with new twigs and new leaves growing!












沒有留言: