2019年5月14日 星期二

Whispers of Carnations (康乃馨 ● 花語)

#2019-0514

Maybe this blog post of mine can be entitled "The Whisper of a Carnation" or "Whispers of Some Carnations" or "Carnations Whispering on Mother's Day" or ... something like this!

I'm not quite sure whether I should use the singular or plural form of the key words whisper(s) and carnation(s), nor do I know for sure why the definite and indefinite "articles" (the and a/an) must or must not be used in English. However, I do remember that every kind of flower has its FLORIOGRAPHY (language of flowers).

On the Internet, I find that ...
  • Light red carnations represent admiration, while dark red denote deep love and affection.
  • White carnations represent pure love and good luck, while striped (variegated) carnations symbolize regret that a love cannot be shared.
  • Purple carnations indicate capriciousness. In France, it is a traditional funeral flower, given in condolence for the death of a loved one.
  • According to a Christian legend, carnations first appeared on Earth as Jesus carried the Cross. The Virgin Mary shed tears at Jesus' plight, and carnations sprang up from where her tears fell. Thus the pink carnation became the symbol of a mother's undying love.
  • The formal name for carnation, dianthus, comes from Greek for "heavenly flower," or the flower of Jove.
Now, as you know, carnations are often worn on Mother's Day. And, you know, in Taiwan and many other countries, Mother's Day falls (and is celebrated) on the second Sunday of May.

Not long before this past Sunday, my daughter-in-law gave my wife some carnations, saying, "Happy Mother's Day to you, mama." I saw the flowers on the kitchen table at first. Then they were moved into the living room. And finally, several days later, they were put on the glass shelf in the bathroom (see photos) just before the bathroom mirror!

I know that my wife has changed the water in the container for the carnations, the stems of which were already cut short so that the plants did not look so heavy-laden, but was able to stand firm for a longer time.

Well, seeing those charming colors and shapes of the carnations (called 香石竹, 剪絨花, 洛陽花, 康乃馨, etc., in our language), I would start thinking of my mother-in-law and my own mother again. Both of them are old ... and rather weak at the moment!











沒有留言: