2011年9月29日 星期四

Yi-Te and Yu-Ting Are Engaged

#2011-0929

Yi-Te and Yu-Ting got engaged this morning and, as scheduled, they will be married very soon on the eighth day of October. We are all very happy about their xishi -- this phrase (literally meaning "happy thing, happy event" in Mandarin) is used to refer to an engagement or a wedding or the both! Yes, we're so excited and happy to witness such a wonderful thing to be fulfilled, or such meaningful ceremonies to be performed.

"Congratulations! Gongxi, gongxi! . . ." said every relative and all friends attending the engagement ceremony this morning. As you'll know right away, Yi-Te is the second son of my second sister. He calls me "Jiu-jiu" as I am his mother's brother. On this important day for him and for the entire family, I who am the bridegroom's Big Jiu-jiu would especially be respected by the groom [following our Chinese traditions]. Knowing the special relation of Yi-Te to me, you'll see why and how much I have been happy today!

And my wife has also been very happy about the xishi -- Yi-Te and Yu-Ting's engagement, and their wedding that will take place soon. This young couple used to be classmates and they have been in love for several years. Now that they are ready (or prepared) to get married, it is desirable for a relative of Yi-Te's or Yu-Ting's to act as a "matchmaker in name." Well, my wife was asked to be the matchmaker. She has been acting as a go-between, helping the two families prepare for the engagement ceremony and the wedding. No wonder she has been so very pleased these days, as I have!








沒有留言: