2021年10月7日 星期四

A Small but Beautiful Bug?

#2021-1007

These pictures were taken on Saturday, September 18, 2021, when Jean and I visited my 1st and 2nd sisters. 

My 1st sister, Xiuzhi, is fond of hiking. She even likes to hike alone in a leisure way. She has a nice camera-phone with her. Whenever she finds something interesting, she'll take a picture of it, if allowed. (If it's convenient, she'll also use the video mode to record the activities she sees!)

Recently she took many photos of piáochóng -- We call these small beetles "piáochóng" in Chinese, but they're commonly known as "ladybugs" in North America and "ladybirds" in Great Britain and other parts of the English-speaking world. (In fact, these insects are not classified as true bugs. So entomologists, scientists who specialize insects, prefer the names "ladybird beetles" or "lady beetles"...)

Last month my sister Xiuzhi showed me lots of pictures she'd taken with a smart phone: there were about 30 kinds of ladybirds in her collection. Those "small but beautiful" insects were similar in size and shape, but in various colors (yellow, red, black, brown, white, blue...) and in different patterns (with small or bigger spots, straight or curved lines...), showing their unique, simple or mixed styles!

"I've brought a ladybird," she said, "so you can take pictures of it."

"Really?..." I was excited about taking pictures of that "small AND beautiful" thing, though my smart camera-phone was rather old.

= = =









沒有留言: