2022年1月7日 星期五

What Memories Can a Rainy Day Bring Back?

#2022-0107

It's been raining since yesterday evening. Raining lightly, not heavily. It sounds that the rain, or drizzle, is going to stop completely soon. But it continues; it's still producing the sound of rain, affecting me in a low mood.

Yesterday afternoon Jean and I took a walk at about 5 o'clock. She had an umbrella in her hand. She wanted me to take one with me too. She was right. It was beginning to rain when we walked half the way up the small mountain near our house.

"What day is today?" she asked.

"Thursday," I said.

"What day of the month? I was asking the date!"

Without delay I replied, "January the 6th. The Epiphany -- today!"

"On the Epiphany last year was Mama's funeral," she said.

"Oh, yes! . . ."

My mother passed away on December 16, 2020, and I remember clearly that her funeral was held on January 6, 2021. So I said to her, "Of course, I remember. I've actually thought of Mama several times these days, but I didn't tell you about that."

I didn't want to remind my wife of this kind of thing, lest she would be too emotional. However, she told me she also thought of Mama several times in recent days. Both of us kept walking for one hour or so, with the umbrellas keeping ourselves from being wet. We were both in a low mood, yet neither of us shed a tear.

This morning Jean has a music class to attend. And I've been alone at home since she left home in the morning. Is it now a good time for me to do exercises? Or to practice the violin (as my homework)? Or is this the best chance for my personal meditation? -- say, missing my late parents and recollecting their and my own stories? . . . 

The sound of rain has subsided. And in the end I'll no longer hear any of it, I believe.

= = =
相關文章 (See also):
1)  別了,親愛的母親     (2020)






















沒有留言: