2020年5月4日 星期一

Morning Glory (牽牛花)

#2020-0504

This morning I see lots of morning glory:

Morning glory sitting quietly on the ground, 
morning glory climbing up the trees, 
morning glory swaying in the breeze!

Morning glory in the sun,
and morning glory in the shade;
O dear, morning glory near where I live!

Just as I love morning and I admire glory so much, I am REALLY fond of you, Morning-glory. But ... well, you know, in my country I'd call you Qian-niu hua (牽牛花) instead. You have a different name here, and from your first name for me to know -- Qian-niu (牽牛), I seem to have learned a very different story. It's another story to tell, indeed.

男孩牽牛去喝水 = The little boy led a cow to a creak or stream;
男孩牽牛去吃草 = The little boy led the cows into the pasture.

A story of mine is started with these words: "I started grazing cattle when I was twelve or younger. In those days I was still an elementary school student. I went to a small-sized school not too far from my house every morning. But when school was over in the afternoon, I returned home and naturally turned to be a 'cowboy.'
(See The Seagull and Me for the whole story.)


























沒有留言: